Saturday, December 19, 2009

A really Small decoder, for a really small engine.

I have a Tomix Thomas Tank Engine. It is one of my smaller engines.

Today I went to Angelo Hobbies today and bought a tiny little TCS Z2 Decoder. It features two light functions but I do not have any resistors small enough yet to install the lights.


As you can see there is not much room for anything much less a decoder.

There is a small place behind the motor where I will put the decoder.
After disassembly I cut the motor contacts and removed the brush covers from the motor.


The rear weight needs to be cut down flat to provide room for the decoder and wires.




Here you can see the Decoder with the light wires wrapped around it and the motor and track wires separated. the motor brush covers are the small metal things towards the top.

Here it is after soldering the brush covers to the motor leads.
 
Then after soldering the track leads to the wipers I reassembled the loco.

After all the cutting grinding and soldering I think it came out all right it handles nicely on the layout and is a really fun engine to run.

No comments:

Post a Comment