Friday, January 29, 2010

Weathering the Old Katy!

While passing time in the hotel in Mcalester,Oklahoma, I decided to see if I could research one of my model locomotives.
HPIM1258-3
The MKT 174 is an EMD GP40, built August 1966 and was used by the Missouri Kansas and Texas  Railroad in this paint scheme till the mid 70’s then it was repainted to the green and yellow scheme and was used till the UP and MKT merged on August 12, 1988 the UP then repainted and renumbered it used it for a few years and then sold it to the Nebraska Central.
mkt174cbp
I decided I needed to make my loco more like its prototype so I searched for some pictures of it in the red scheme and found this one.
mkt174arp
I used this picture as a guide and weathered my loco like the picture.
HPIM1274-1
I think It turned out pretty good, I’ll try to make some pictures in the sunlight as soon as we get some here.
According to a website I found the Locomotive is still in use by the Nebraska Central Railroad and has been renumbered and repainted.
NCRC4201
Its still red though!

No comments:

Post a Comment